Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pink Truth: Should I Order Mary Kay Inventory?

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.
Should I Order Mary Kay Inventory?
Feb 21st 2012, 12:00
Well what a silly question! If you’ve just joined Mary Kay, of course you should order inventory. In case you didn’t know, your recruiter doesn’t make any money unless you order inventory! You don’t actually need to sell anything. If you order, the recruiter profits, period.

Get ready for the “inventory talk.” Most importantly, you’ll [...]
As usual, I don't think Tracy even read the Mary Kay document she posted before she did so.  She says Mary Kay is going to pressure you into ordering a huge initial inventory order and offers as proof a document that says over and over again, "this is YOUR choice".

Setting that aside, at the end of the document, it recommends using all $500 that you make (in retail sales) to buy more inventory, assuming that you first bought $600 wholesale.  I may be off in my thinking about this, but I want to recoup my initial investment before I spend more.  So, I would (personally) spend $250 on inventory and $250 on replenishing whatever account my initial $600 came from.

Once I have paid myself (or husband or credit card or friend or aunt or niece) back the initial investment, than my business can truly stand (or fall) on it's own merits.  After that, and assuming that I don't need to pay myself right away, building inventory with all incoming dollars makes sense.

This may just be the way my brain works, but I thought I would throw that out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment