Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pink Truth: Caption This Mary Kay Photo

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.

Caption This Mary Kay Photo
Aug 21st 2012, 20:00
Gloria Mayfield Banks, was presented with a plaque indicating she has received $8 million in gross commissions from Mary Kay Cosmetics during her 24 years with the company. Leave your caption below!
This, to me, typifies Pink Truth so definitively I had to share it.

A little bulky, but from the comments section:


anthonysmom

| 
Not a caption, but just a comment – only $8MM in commissions???? In 24 years??? That only comes out to an average of $33,333/year. Holy smokes – I make TWICE what Madam Banks makes and I only have to work 40 hours a week!! Woot woot!!
  • Philip Arlington

    | 
    It seems that you’ve either divided 800,000 by 24 or 8,000,000 by 240. 8,000,000 divided by 24 is 333,333.
    • Philip Arlington

      | 
      You made your mistake to Mary Kay’s disadvantage, but I think that the fact that you could make such a mistake by a factor of ten – and you are very far from being alone – is a perfect illustration of the sort of muddled understanding of numbers that makes so many people easy for Mary Kay to take advantage of. I virtually always spot such errors straight away, but many. many people don’t, including many intelligent and educated people. I see mistakes of this kind in the “quality” press over and over again. Once we get into the billions, we might was well be casting spells so far as most people are concerned. Mary Kay knows that too – the fact that its wholesale revenue is only $2.5 billion while it has two million or whatever agents should completely destroy its credibility as an income opportunity, but it is rarely remarked on.
      • Deflated Pink Bubble

        | 
        Great point! I like the way you think.
    • anthonysmom

      | 
      Yes, I did make a mistake – the correct number should have been $333,333. My bad. As a side note: My error had nothing to do with having a “muddled understanding of numbers…” as your comment below states. I just looked at the little tiny calculator on my computer wrong since it doesn’t put in commas. I’ll try not to worry my pretty little head too much about it though. Yes, I do take your comment as rather condescending. Thanks.
      • seeing the truth

        | 
        Yeah I thought his comment was a little on the rude side, it was simple mistake. Not because you can’t do math just that you looked at the answer wrong. Some people
Wow. just wow.

1 comment:

  1. Sure, that guy was condescending in his tone... But PT is a cesspool of it's members speaking down to anyone in MK, "ZOMG YOU MADE TYPOS!!!!" But their own typos are totally fine, and pointing them out will get you banned from the forums and your comments deleted...

    ReplyDelete