Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pink Truth: The Gold Leaf Close

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.
The Gold Leaf Close
Jan 4th 2012, 12:00
Written by The Scribbler

Mary Kay nsd Pam Shaw shows you how to close a recruit while you are at the event or at the unit meeting by using a leaf dipped in 14 karat gold.

Scrib’s note: Are you a guest at your friend’s unit meeting? Beware – the directors have something extra-special lined [...]
I have to say that this training material that PInk Truth claims is from NSD Pam Shaw is unsettling in a few areas.  I personally don't go in for any high pressure treatment, and this is just oozing with it in my opinion.

"Wimpy is asking people you trust for advice"  Now there is some truth to not asking 25 people as this piece points out... if you are getting ready to do anything new and you ask 25 people, you are bound to get some people who try to discourage you... even if it is something that you should do.  And that negativity can really put a damper on the enthusiasm you have for a new venture.  So, be selective in who you talk to, but not talking to anyone is ill advised as well.  A consideration here is the $100 buy-in.  You may have a relationship (and financial standing) where you can make a $100 decision without talking it over.  In that case, this really can be a "just go for it" and let your husband know when you get home.  However, you may be at a place where anything over $20 (or $5) needs to be discussed.  If this is the case, this is bad pressure.

The stuff about setting the right environment is fine in my book.  When you are in the sales field, enthusiasm is everything.  And no matter how exciting the product you are selling is, you will always be susceptible to fatigue and boredom.  These things can only be overcome by 'forcing' yourself to get excited again.  Helping your unit get there is wise.

I just recently discussed the fact that if you are convincing someone to do something then they 'don't intend to do it'.  If they were ready and eager to do it, they would have done it already.  You ARE taking people that 'don't want to' for some reason to a place where they 'want to'.  As I mentioned then, make sure that you are talking them into something that you truly believe they will enjoy and benefit from.

I find it funny that Scrib continues Pink Truth's theme of picking on the relatively small value of the prizes in Mary Kay. They miss entirely the point.  Which is fine... not everyone is motivated by recognition and gimmicky prizes... but enough people are and really enjoy small, symbolic things like a gold leaf pin that it is worth using for staying enthusiastic about what you are doing.  I routinely 'reward' myself with whatever snack I am eating while I am working.  "If I finish xyz, I can have another piece of cheese (or chocolate or sip of coffee, etc...)  Pink Truth, I am sure, would be horrified... "But you could go get a whole block of cheese from the store for like $3... why would you work so hard just to get one slice...

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I think Pam Shaw's techniques (some of them) are a bit under-handed. If a woman is trying to build her team and enrich women while doing it, she would want to prospective recruit to be pretty certain. Most people don't make great decisions on impulse, and I feel that's what she's trying to push here. Let them go home, think it over, talk to their spouse...it's just my opinion, but the impulse emotion-based angle is unsettling at best.

    ReplyDelete