Monday, January 9, 2012

Pink Truth: Who’s Selling Mary Kay Products? Not Kim Sabourin’s Unit!

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.
Who's Selling Mary Kay Products? Not Kim Sabourin's Unit!
Jan 9th 2012, 12:00
From time to time, I like to take a look at who is actually selling Mary Kay products, and what kind of living they’re making from it. Pink Truthers are often told that it’s easy to sell MK products. The products “fly right off the shelf” or “sell themselves.” We’re told that if we were [...]
Well, on the one hand, I would like to commend Pink Truth for putting out actual numbers to back up their rants.

Unfortunately, there is no way I can do that.

For one, I do not see anywhere that they got permission to post this information.  This may seem like a small detail, especially since this information is probably on the web already, but knowing how famous Pink Truth is for filing DMCA's, it is ludicrous that they have no problem putting this up without obtaining permission.

Second, they don't actually put two and two together here.  They refer to Kim as a top director (and with nearly 300 unit members, there is some evidence that this may be true.  However, their own evidence of her not being a top director refutes their claim that she is one.  Yes, you can find a lot of people in Mary Kay that are dreaming of being NSDs one day... that doesn't mean that they are big performers in Mary Kay.

Pink Truth has done a good job making fun of a unit that is not out there making millions.  That is about all they have done in my opinion. 

3 comments:

  1. Is anyone else wondering how ethical it is to post all the numbers with names and everything? The comments are actually worse...one woman was making fun of her hairstyle, and they were all just assuming things that aren't necessarily true!

    By the way: I am an IBC who did join just for a little extra on the side. And the reason I'm not rolling in money is because I teach high school full time and have a difficult time opening my mouth - about MK, not in general :) I don't work very hard = I don't make very much money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you mkmommy; I work full time as well and I basically take a low-key approach to the IBC thing. I'm not about warm chatter, finding people out in the world, or even heavily selling friends and family. They know what I do, they approach me when they need things, and I let them know about products and specials. End of story.

    They seem to all assume that EVERYONE in MK wants to become NSD (not true), that being a long-term SD or red jacket is a sign of failure (not true), and that IBCs, SDs, NSDs, and whatever other acronym you want are all in it for the same reasons. Seems to me those baseline assumptions may have something to do with the perspective over there. Just my assumption though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. mkmommy I agree, it was really low of them to talk about Kim's hair. Definitely not ok.

    ReplyDelete