Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pink Truth: The Moral Compass of a Mary Kay Sales Director

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.
The Moral Compass of a Mary Kay Sales Director
Dec 14th 2011, 12:00
Written by SuzyQ

I want to talk to you about being a Mary Kay sales director. We are not all monsters. There are some who are monsters… and those women should not be allowed to work with people anywhere. But for the most part, something happens to a normally decent, smart and loving human being [...]
Profound.  Suzy Q. sums up the problem that I have with Pink Truth in one small sentence.

To look deeply within causes too much pain.

This post and many like it on Pink Truth work so hard at casting the blame on anything other than self.  There are small lines here and there, taking responsibility for actions and behaviors, but always followed by a BUT...  and always it is blaming the intangible "pink bubble".

Look, I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone that gets caught in any sort of downward spiral.  You see it all the time from kids that get caught in a lie and lie to cover it up and get deeper and deeper (these usually last less time because they have not developed their adult lying capabilities yet...) to much bigger issues where one poor decision after another leads folks down very dark roads.

Abuse and addiction on one extreme and the famous "rut" of waking up one day to realize you are 50 and haven't accomplished any of your dreams because you let yourself go through the motions of a job every day with weekends and vacations the only thing to look forward to on the other.

But that's just the thing.  Anyone on Pink Truth listening, if you don't hear anything else, hear this - In order for you to truly move on, you need to step up to the plate (or mic or comment box) and declare, "I messed up.  I made a mistake.  It was not anyone's fault but mine.  It was not my husband's fault, my director's fault, or the Pink (Fog/Bubble/Mist/whatever)'s fault.  I made bad decisions that I regret.  The only way for me to truly 'get clear of this' is to walk away from Mary Kay.  I will not speak for or to anyone currently or previously in Mary Kay. I am moving on and starting over." (Or at least something to that effect.)

Then leave it alone.  No need to bring down the company, no need to convince the world that Mary Kay is evil.  No need to convince people that are succeeding in Mary Kay that they are frauds.  Just walk away.

I understand the desire to expose the whole "I was blameless and right and "they" (whoever 'they' happens to be) really screwed up", but it really doesn't help in your recovery.

Until then, I am convinced that your so called moral compass is still not pointing due north.

No comments:

Post a Comment