Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pink Truth: An NSD’s “Guest Night” Script

Pink Truth
Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.
An NSD's "Guest Night" Script
Dec 28th 2011, 12:00
Written by The Scribbler

Ever been invited to a consultant’s “Success Meeting,” “Guest Event,” or “Success Celebration?”  If you have, it means Mary Kay has got her eye on you, sister, and if you’re not careful, you’ll be so much raw meat for the lionesses to devour.  This interesting list of guidelines tells consultants how [...]
This "post" is, once again, just a Mary Kay document that Pink Truth stole and reposted.  "The Scribbler" is, I suppose, living up to her name by barely scribbling something at the top... dripping with sarcasm... also as usual.

The document itself is full of advice about how to conduct oneself when bringing a guest to a guest event.  Some of these suggestions are great - "talk about her, not you or Mary Kay on the way to the event" and "be excited at the event".

Some are questionable and probably will depend a lot on you and your friends.  "Give your Director or DIQ your 'hottest names and numbers" - I would probably never do that.  I don't appreciate getting a call out of the blue from someone that I have never met.  I would be even more upset if I found out my friend gave me their number.  I expect most of my friends feel the same way.

Most of the advice here though pertains to salesmanship and presenting the opportunity in an attractive way.  If you are going to recruit people, you are going to need to overcome objections.  If she already wanted to be a Mary Kay Consultant, she would have already signed up.  You are going to need to get her from unsure or even completely unaware to confident, if you want her to be on your team.  If you have ever changed someones mind before, you know that this takes a lot of work and persistence.

Also, on a personal note, if you intend to convince someone to do something, you have to be comfortable with that being on your conscience.  Think, "If she DOES do this, will I be proud to say later that it was my fault... or ashamed?"  If you can't be proud of the fact that you brought people over to your side of thinking, you shouldn't be trying.  This goes for anything in life, but especially for something that is going to cost them money and time. 

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you all know about something that happened over at Pink Truth today. There is a post there where they spend a little while making fun of other people's spelling errors, but they made an error of their own. They said " If you want to talk money, then scan and attach your 1090 to your email. We will block out the names."
    Now, I can only assume they mean either 1040 or 1099. So I pointed out the error nicely. My comment was polite and to the point. Guess what they did? They deleted my comment without even an explanation or acknowledgement. What's funnier, they didn't even bother to fix the error. Just goes to show what hypocrites they are over at PT...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment there, Michele. It must have been before they deleted it. There was also another post there that disappeared as well, which is a bit confusing. Good show pointing it out regardless of the deletion, if only for clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like they have fixed their error.
    I read their site once in a while, and I am astonished by some of the catty things they do and say. For example, I think it is wrong to post photos of women at Seminar or other events and get all the commenters to make fun of their clothes, hair, etc. I pointed out once, that I found those types of posts offensive and polarizing, and a few people even agreed with me, but Tracy was very condescending to me about it. I never forgot that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand how they insist that they are "showing people the truth" but ridiculing the very people they want to "defog." I find a lot of language over there mean-spirited, no matter how often they claim they aren't. Just the term "kay-bot" is condescending--why would anyone change their mind if that is how they are being described?

    ReplyDelete